Sunday, September 30, 2012

An Excellent Day

A great day so far. When Bubby work up this morning and Shellie let him out he actually explored around the yard for a bit while doing his business, came back in and willingly took his meds wrapped in canned dog food, then ate almost a half-can of the stuff!!! This is more than he's eaten in the last week!!!

I emailed Dr. Strathe to let him know of Bubby's status and thanked him again for all he'd done. My boy's breathing is almost normal and I can tell he's feeling better now than he has ever since last Monday when he first started displaying symptoms!

Bear in mind that I have no unreasonable expectations. I fully realize that time is short, but while researching this malady I've read post after post from other dog owners who had their friend put down on learning the news (and what would be necessary to keep them comfortable and alive). The decision is, of course, up to each individual, and I'm certainly no one to second guess someone else's decision, but I am so glad (and so is Dr. Strathe, Bubby and Shellie) that I didn't go down that path.

I suppose that my decision could be in part based on my firsthand knowledge of the condition. Being a heart patient myself, I've been hospitalized with CHF. I know the misery, but also that with the proper medication the symptoms can be alleviated and quality of life restored, if only for awhile, and even then it's a roll of the dice. Looks like I chose correctly.


No comments:

Post a Comment